Wednesday, November 19, 2014

Learning How to Read

We traveled far, we were leaving,
The bags were packed, the boxes were sent,
The only thing left to be put in the car, was me

I was buckled tight, given books, a notepad, and a pencil
My mom and uncle sat up in front, preparing for this
The first couple hours, I napped, then I awoke

In my four year old voice I demanded my books,
They had fallen, and I, the boss, wanted them
Once they were back in my hands, I devoured them

I read the pages, telling my mom them,
When my mom slept, I told my uncle,
‘Practice your words,’ my mom told me, so I did

If I didn’t know a letter I yelled, ‘What’s R?’
‘What’s S?’ ‘M?’ ‘MOMMY.’
I might have almost caused a few accidents, but I didn’t

By the time we made it to California,
My books were read multiple times, my notepad full of letters,
I could read, I could write.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you got much more from that trip than a new home...you must have just taken to words/writing/reading naturally. I love the line "the only thing left to be put in the car was me."

    ReplyDelete