Monday, October 6, 2014

The Pumpkin Patch


            It wasn’t even eight in the morning when little footsteps were heard running down the hall.

            “KATE! KATE!” a little voice screamed as the door was opened to my bedroom and a ball of fire jumped into bed.

            “Maddy, stop,” I said burrowing into the blankets deeper, trying to get her out of my room.

            “Kate! Come on! Let’s go to the pumpkin patch! PLEASE!” the five year old screamed into my ear.

            “Leave me alone, it’s too early,” I groaned, I had just gotten in bed not even two hours before, another night shift under my belt.

            “Mom said you have to, it’s now or never, and you promised,” she said as I sighed.

            “Let me get dressed,” I told her as I uncovered myself and stepped out of the bed, “Go get into something warmer, it’s chilly outside.”

            As Maddy ran out of the room I changed into jeans, a long sleeve shirt, and a pair of my trusty boots. I slipped on a jacket and walked downstairs where my mother sat in her favorite chair staring at the news on tv.

            “Morning mom,” I said as she looked up smiling.

            “Hi honey, going to the pumpkin patch?” she asked as I shot her a glare.

            Instead of answering I walked into the kitchen and poured myself a cup of coffee ignoring the medical bills on the counter, and the medicine bottles lined up against the counter walls.

            “Are you coming?” I asked my mom as I walked out.

            “I don’t think so, you two go ahead,” she said as I nodded and walked to the door.

            “MADISON LYNN LET’S GO!” I yelled as feet thumped down the stairs and my sister appeared in jeans, a sweater, a jacket over that, and boots.

            “Ready!” she screamed excitedly as I shook my head.

            “Hat,” I said grabbing a beanie as she pouted.

            “No fair! You don’t have one,” she said as I shook my head and placed the beanie on her bald head.

            “I don’t need one, come on, let’s go to the pumpkin patch,” I said as she squealed and ran to the car.

            I followed behind slower, watching my sister, as she ran around like any normal child, except she wasn’t a normal child. She had cancer, and the doctors gave her till the end of October to live.

            Halloween was her favorite holiday, and she refused to miss it, she was strong, but the cancer was stronger. Bad days were outnumbering the good days, and soon she’d be in the hospital preparing for her last day.

            “Kateee,” Maddy groaned near my car as I sighed.

            “Okay, okay, let’s go,” I said walking to my car, unlocking it as Maddy climbed inside and was buckled before I even got in.

            “How many pumpkins are we getting?” I asked pulling out of our driveway as Maddy grinned at me through the mirror.

            “All of them,” she said.

            “Then let’s go then,” I said as she clapped excitedly.

            Nothing was going to make this day bad, except how the day would be ending marking a day closer to my sister’s death.

3 comments:

  1. That last line is a heartbreaker. I know you and your family have been through some scary times with your brother being sick...I love how this story points to the joy that can be had even when there are big problems looming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the story is so sad but i like your writing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a good story. The last line is a great way to close the story. I was expecting a scary story, but instead got a sad one, however, I'm not disappointing in the least bit. Very very good writing!

    ReplyDelete